See the rubrics that the Celia Cruz Bronx High School of Music use to evaluate, judge, and score auditions:
Students should be prepared to sing a piece a cappella, match pitch, imitate rhythmic and melodic lines, and sing in harmony with the teacher.
Instrumental (Band, Orchestra, Piano):
Students should be prepared to perform a piece, scales, and sight read.
Students should be prepared to perform a piece on snare drum, sight read, and perform two rudiments.
Get the answers to the most frequently asked questions:Click here
1. Make sure you apply on your high school application with one or more of the following codes:
- Band/Piano: X33A
- Chorus: X33B
- Strings: X33M
2. ALL STUDENTS MUST AUDITION TO BE CONSIDERED FOR ADMISSION! Make sure you attend one of the auditions. If you are not able to attend the scheduled auditions, call us to make an appointment instead.
3. Please remember, if you attend an audition but do not apply to our school on your high school application, even if you pass the audition, you will not be considered for acceptance. YOU MUST APPLY AND AUDITION!
Audition Dos and Don'ts
- DO show up prepared to perform your piece.
- DO remember to bring your instrument, reed, neck strap, etc.
- If you are a drummer, DO bring your drumsticks.
- DO be confident.
- DON’T chew gum during your audition.
- DON’T bring accompaniment if you are a singer.
All vocal auditions are done a capella.